Monday, July 10, 2017

June Sketchwalk

I am a little late in posting this, but these are the two sketches I did on the last sketchwalk.

 The first sketch is of the Junghwamun Gate, inside Deoksugung Palace, one of Seoul's four royal palaces built during the Joseon dynasty (1392 - 1910). 

While I was scouting for a suitable location to sketch from, I got talking with a Japanese tourist who said there was going to be a 'parade' soon and I shouldn't leave without seeing it. The parade she was talking about was the 11am changing of guards ceremony. I could already hear the beat of the drums and the sound of marching footsteps round the corner. 

Grabbing a bench facing the Jughwamun gate, I quickly laid out my sketching gear and waited with a dip pen and a bottle of ink in hand. The Japanese tourist had her phone propped up with a selfie stick and was standing by the road, also waiting. As the beautiful procession of uniformed guards carrying colourful flags passed us by, we captured the event in our own way. You can see her in my sketch, recording the event. 



After lunch, a bunch of us headed to Seoul Anglican Cathedral whose striking architecture, a mix of traditional Korean and Romanesque features which makes it a utter pleasure to sketch. I am told that on a clear day the sun casts dramatic shadows over the cathedral walls and I must visit again to sketch/paint this wondrous play of light and shadows. Well, I cannot wait! 


4 comments:

BH Yoo said...

Nice works!
Thank you for sharing.

Lee Yong Hwan said...

Good sketches with unique colors!

Andy Oh said...

love your sketches!

좌절금지 said...

Beautiful!